Last night after making some Chocolate Peppermint Mouse, I found myself with 3 egg yolks I didn’t want to waste. After googling recipes that use 3 egg yolks I found an amazing article on Forty Something listing recipes to use up your left over egg yolks!! The results are my new favorite sugar cookie!!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 (slightly rounded – not quite ¾) teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter (if you use salted butter, use only ¼ tsp. salt), softened
- 2 cups, scant, granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon good vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional, I didn’t use this)
- 3 egg yolks
- Preheat over to 350.
- Thoroughly stir together Flour, Baking soda and Cream of tartar. If you have time, sift them. I didn’t and the cookies turned out fine. Stir in the salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest, then one by one, beat in the egg yolks.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Form into 1 inch balls and place balls about 2 inches apart on a non-stick or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies start to brown around the edges. If you like your cookies chewy, check out my tip for chewy cookies.
These cookies are delicious plain, but if you want to jazz then up, here is the Pink Lemonade Frosting I put on mine.
Pink Lemonade Frosting
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Butter – softened
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons hot water (might need more)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Stir all ingredients together. If you want the frosting runnier than add more hot water a tablespoon at a time. Be careful not to add too much water. I wanted a hint of lemon, for stronger lemon flavor add more lemon juice a teaspoon at a time.