Disclosure: I was provided free product for review purposes. All experiences and opinions are my own. Yours may differ.
Recently Malt-O-Meal emailed me about promoting their brand. Since we already are huge Malt-O-Meal fans, I told them an enthusiastic YES! I wanted to make this post fun and relatable. Since we are about to head out on a very long (at least for us) road trip (be sure to follow along with #MOMontheroad) I decided to come up with a couple EASY and fun travel snacks using Malt-O-Meal cereals as well as some recipes for home use.
Malt-O-Meal comes in 28 different flavors that are sure to please everyone in your family. You’ve seen Malt-O-Meal before on the cereal isle, they are the huge bags of cereal. Malt-O-Meal costs less ounce-for-ounce that the leading boxed brands. In a recent taste test it was revealed that consumers prefer the taste of Malt-O-Meal to the other brands. I grew up on Malt-O-Meal and so I have loved now having my children grow up with Malt-O-Meal as well.
Travel Trail Mix
What you need:
- 5 of your favorite Malt-O-Meal cereals. *TIP* The “big” cereals work better than the small ones. For example, Marshmallow Mateys work a lot better than Fruity Dyno-Bites.
- Zip top bags
Place 1 cup of each type of cereal in a bowl (you can use 2 cups of your favorite so it is more prominent). Stir around to miss well. Place in individual bags and serve.
We will be passing these out to our kids during our 18 hour road trip this weekend!
This one was a little tricky trying to decide what I thought was the best way to make these pancakes. There are two methods:
- Add the cereal to the pancake batter.
- Add the cereal once the batter is cooking in the pan.
We tried both ways! This is what I found.
- When you add the cereal to the batter it becomes hidden in the pancake, so it isn’t as pretty. Also the cereal absorbs the moisture in the batter so the cereal isn’t crunchy anymore. It becomes more of a pretty confetti in the pancake that you barely notice (though my daughter said she could still taste it).
- When you sprinkle the cereal on the pancakes as they are cooking you are still able to see the pretty colors when they are done. Also, since the cereal is basically on top of the pancake, they remain crunchy and, in my opinion, a stronger flavor.
We simply used pancake mix from a box and added the Fruity Dyno- Bites as a fun accent to otherwise boring pancakes.
Tuttie Fruitie Treats
What you need:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 package of Marshmallows (or about 40)
- 7 cups Tuttie Fruitie Malt-O-Meal cereal
- Grease 9×13 pan
- Melt butter over medium heat
- Add Marshmallow stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat; add cereal.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place in 9×13; spread to fit and try to flatten top. Let cool.
- Once cool cut into bars.
- If you want to make these travel snacks simply wrap each individual bar in wax paper and tape shut or use a sticker.
This recipe was feature on my blog several months ago. This is a fun snack for a play date or a St. Patrick’s Day party. Follow the recipe and substitute your favorite Malt-O-Meal cereals.
Yogurt Mix In
This one is as easy at the name. We love Oat Blenders with Honey at our house, and I love mixing things in with my yogurt so I added some Oat Blenders to my yogurt for breakfast and it was delicious!
What are some fun recipes you use with cereal? What is your favorite Malt-O-Meal cereal?