Yard Sales Part 2
Tips on Successful Yard Sale Shopping
As promised, here is Part 2 of my 3 part series! If you missed Part 1, click here!
Here are my tips for successful shopping:
- In preparation, check the newspaper for yard sale listings. Also, make note of any city-wide yard sales. Those are GREAT!
- Map out a route through the neighborhoods you want to visit to make better time.(Start with the nicer neighborhoods)
- Make a list of the items you are searching for.
- Make a budget and take it in cash- when the money is out, you are done. Also, you won’t have to make a run for cash if you run out before you’ve hit your limit. (You aren’t obligated to spend it all!)
- When you walk up to a sale, make an effort to say “Hello” and smile- you are more likely to get a deal if you are sweet.
- Understand that people price items a certain value for a reason. If you want to haggle, make sure you are polite, and brace for rejection. If they say no, don’t be frustrated; just decide if you are willing to pay their price. Sometimes, if they can’t get the price they want for an item, they would rather keep it.
- Look for potential. Remember the green dress from Part 1? It had a hideous lace collar, but I unstitched it, took off the horrible lace and stitched it back together. So easy and totally worth it!
- Acknowledge that you may buy something at one place and then find a better one at a different sale. It happens!
- Be meticulous. I can’t count how many times I’ve impatiently skimmed through kids’ clothes or toys just to have my sister come along behind me and find something fantastic!
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any tips to add! Happy Yard Sale-ing everyone!! Don’t forget to come back for Part 3: How to Have a Successful Yard Sale!