Quinoa Cranberry Cookies
By Debbie Adler
15 x 13-inch sheet of parchment paper
1 cup quinoa flakes
3/4 cup hot water
3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (see page 13)
1/2 cup amaranth flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon guar gum
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/8 teaspoon stevia powder
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 325ÅãF. Line a 15 x 13- inch cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Pour the quinoa flakes into a mediumsize bowl, add the hot water and let sit without stirring.
3. Whisk together the two flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, guar gum and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
4. Microwave the coconut oil and coconut nectar in a 2-cup measuring cup for 20 seconds. Add the vanilla and stevia and stir to combine. Pour the coconut oil mixture into the flour mixture.
5. Next add the quinoa flake mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the dried cranberries.
6. Take about 11/2 tablespoons of the dough, shape it into a ball, and place it on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until you have used up all the dough, placing the balls about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Flatten each ball gently with the bottom of
a measuring cup.
7. Bake the cookies for 16 to 18 minutes, or until they are a light golden brown around the edges. Rotate the cookie sheet from front
to back after 10 minutes of baking.
8. Transfer the cookie sheet from the oven to a wire rack and let sit for about 10 minutes before removing the cookies to
cool completely. Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
For another Gluten Free recipe from Debbie Adler check out her Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes here.
Recipes from Sweet Debbie’s Organic Treats: Allergy-Free & Vegan Recipes from the Famous Los Angeles Bakery by Debbie Adler, reprinted courtesy of Harlequin.