My family was thrilled to take a ride on the Pride of the Susquehanna River Boat. We had a wonderful 45 minute afternoon ride. To say that the employees of the river boat were accommodating would be an understatement. They were friendly, patient and very understanding (we had issues with our tickets-totally the fault of my email and sometimes when there are little issues like this I am interested to see how people will react.) They didn’t miss a beat when we had issues with our tickets- they were understanding and took time to help in any way they could. I was very impressed- and all before we even stepped foot on the boat.
The boat dock is located on a little island in the Susquehanna river. The island itself has a soccer and baseball stadium as well as batting cages a little train and some little snack shacks and restaurants. It has a bridge to the mainland on each side of it so its easily accessible. It was fun walking around, we saw tons of animal life and my kids loved running around the soccer field and waving at the little train as it passed.
The boat was great! We had many options as far as places to sit or stand. We spent some time on the front deck, using the steering wheel and ringing the bell. The kids loved peering over the railings at the water and the buildings of Harrisburg. We enjoyed the view from the upper deck. Both an umbrella covered location and an open sky location. It was so fun to just roam around the boat looking on all sides of the river. Riverboats are just amazing. I love how they have kept this one running- what a wonderful piece of history to share with your children in showing them the progress that civilization has made. Although I enjoy modern technology and progress I do enjoy stepping back and relishing the simplicity of days past. What an experience. Finally we spent some time in the cabin on the bottom level of the boat. We were able to peer out the windows with the water so close while we enjoyed the air conditioning which was very much appreciated on a very hot day! There were chairs and tables to sit at, benches for my kids to climb all over- Restrooms (A MUST!) and postcards showing different places in Harrisburg over the years. It was fun to get even more history while riding the boat! Everywhere we turned there was something to do or see! It was remarkable!
5 Reasons why you should take a ride on the Pride of the Susquehanna- Harrisburg
1. The view from the river is gorgeous. It is truly breathtaking.
2. The relaxing pace of the riverboat is soothing and magical. I felt like it was a reminder to me that I need to slow down a bit. Life is to be enjoyed, slowly and comfortably. It was so wonderful!
3. You get to see many of the famous buildings in Harrisburg while avoiding the traffic and noise. Not that there are excessive amounts of either but it was nice to just get some glimpses of things from such a peaceful and serene place.
4. You get bragging rights. I mean really how many people have had a chance to ride a riverboat. What a great way to support your childs history and geography classes by sharing with them the history of boating as well as the geography of one of Americas most famous rivers. So much can be taken from the experience!
5. There are so many special event aboard the Pride of the Susquehanna. There are themed cruises like, river school cruises, pirate cruises, princess cruises and more. You can even host your own private event aboard this fabulous boat. What a wonderful and unique experience that would be!
Our family had a blast riding the Pride of the Susquehanna. I am so grateful that Rick over at visit Hershey/Harrisburg suggested it and that Lexi and all of the Pride of the Susquehannas staff were so acommodating and welcoming. People make a huge impact on your travel. I hope to be back to the Susquehanna Riverboat soon!
Check out all their many entertainment options. There truly is something for everyone!